Hazel here. I’m gonna teach you how to make the Pixie Dust Tree.
The central focal point in Pixie Hollow is a majestic tree that serves as home for Queen Clarion and the four Ministers of the Seasons. Here, too, is where all the new fairies first arrive and find out what their special talents are. The sap of this tree is pixie dust, and the roots spread wide, infusing the magic powder into every corner of the Hollow. With its canopy of leafy branches and a trunk that glistens gold with pixie dust, this pint-size paper tree is the perfect landmark for any imaginary fairyland.
- Pixie dust tree template
- Craft scissors (optional)
- 2 sheets (8 1/2- by 11-inches) heavyweight brown paper for the tree trunk
- Lightweight green and yellow paper
- Hot glue gun
- Craft knife
- Toilet tissue tube
- Glue stick
- Gold glitter glue
- Small paintbrush
- Gold glitter foam (optional)
1. Print out the template and cut out the pieces. Trace the tree trunk onto each of the two sheets of brown paper and cut out the tracings. (Or, if you prefer to cut out two tree trunks at once, you can stack the two sheets and paper clip the edges together. Then trace the template onto the top sheet.)
2. Use the leaf template pieces and decorative-edged craft scissors to cut out a bunch of green paper leaf clusters.
|3. To assemble the tree, stack the two trunk pieces and hot glue the very side edges and the roots together. Leave the tree boughs and the tree bottom unglued.|
|4. Insert the toilet tissue tube into the center of the trunk.|
5. Use the glue stick to attach a leaf cluster to the top of each bough.
6. Use the craft knife to cut a door opening in the front of the tree, referring to the template for size and placement. Cut a window opening in the back of the tree, too, if you like. To create the illusion of light shining from within the tree, glue small squares of yellow paper to the inside of the trunk in front of the door and window openings.
7. Now it’s time for your child to paint the trunk and limbs with a glistening coat of glitter glue pixie dust.
8. For the final effect, set up the tree on a “pool of pixie dust” cut from a sheet of gold glitter foam.